Did you buy any clothes last week? Think about it… was it something you bought that will last or something you bought because the neckline was “on trend” and you just had to have it for that party? Will you really wear it again or did you already wash it and now it looks dingy and seems to be falling apart?
It’s time we shopped consciously. Yeah, I’m the owner of a clothing company and you’d think I’d be pushing you to buy everything we make, but honestly, that’s not our mission.
Our mission is to inform and inspire individuals to support eco-friendly, ethically USA MADE companies like ME and aim for a zero waste lifestyle to protect our beautiful planet and the people in it. Most importantly, we want you to #CAREWHATYOUWEAR!
MAJAMAS EARTH produces small batches of classically styled clothing that you’ll wear for years.
We make it from fabrics made under strict environmental regulations and sew using ethical family run shops in the U.S.
Like the small, organic farmer, MAJAMAS EARTH makes sustainable clothing in small quantities offering an alternative to the big fashion brands that are killing our planet and still treating workers unfairly.
Sharing the facts about the fashion industry is the best way we know to stop the devastating effects of fast fashion.
You’re smart and you care. Just like you think twice about buying food that’s bad for you, we want you to think twice before buying clothing that’s bad for you too.
So, read on my wise friends!
SCARY FAST FASHION FACTS
1. Only 2% of clothing sold in the U.S. is made in the U.S.
2. Fashion is one of the biggest polluting industries. Unless a garment is made in Europe, Latin America or North America, environmental regulations are not in place to protect our planet when garments are made.
3. Most pollution generated from the fashion industry comes from the cutting room. The wasted fabric is tossed after the garments are cut and this waste just goes into the landfills.
4. 70% of the clothes we throw away are tossed because they fade or shrink. Fast fashion focuses on trends instead of classic designs making them even more likely to be thrown out after one season.
5. Roughly 20% of industrial water pollution comes from the treatment and dyeing of textiles.
6. It takes a 3 year supply of one person’s drinking water to make 1 cotton t-shirt.
7. In Fair Wear Foundation’s survey of 658 women in 35 Indian and Bangladeshi factories, 75 per cent said that regular verbal abuse occurred in their factory, most of which was sexually explicit.
8. Fair trade doesn’t always mean eco-friendly, especially when it’s made in China, Bangladesh or other Asian countries.
9. The US is estimated to spend $2.6 billion on Halloween costumes worn for one night.
10. Men are 20% more likely to reach upper management in the fashion business than women.
Don’t be scared to start, we’re all living this together!
Let these fast fashion facts melt into your brain so the next time you’re thinking about buying that flimsy t-shirt, you’ll pass and make a healthier choice. Not only for you, but for ALL of us.
– Germaine Caprio, Company Owner & Designer
TO HEAR FROM YOU
Do you have any scary facts about the fashion industry?
Please share your own thoughts with us – let’s get a conversation started in the comments below! Your comment may even win you a free MAJAMAS garment this week!
3 thoughts on “Scary Fast Fashion Facts”
Thanks Germaine, for keeping us a little more conscious!
Thanks for reading Annie!